Wednesday, February 2, 2011

Waiting on Wednesday

Waiting on Wednesday is a weekly meme hosted by Breaking the Spine.

This week's pick is Gae Polisner's debut The Pull of Gravity, coming May 10 from Farrer, Straus and Giroux.

Summary:

While Nick Gardner’s family is falling apart, his best friend, Scooter, is dying from a freak disease. The Scoot’s final wish is that Nick and their quirky classmate, Jaycee Amato, deliver a prized first-edition copy of Of Mice and Men to the Scoot’s father. There’s just one problem: the Scoot’s father walked out years ago and hasn’t been heard from since. So, guided by Steinbeck’s life lessons, and with only the vaguest of plans, Nick and Jaycee set off to find him.

Characters you’ll want to become friends with and a narrative voice that sparkles with wit make this a truly original coming-of-age story.


My Thoughts: Male POV contemp? Yes please. I love the challenge that is presented with this one, even in the premise. It's so clear this is a character that is going to be tested and pushed, and I like the hint of romance and the loyalty of the friendship. The literary tie in sounds like it could also add something very intriguing while still keeping a YA element overall, and this one just sounds like a good mix of fun and emotional. I think the cover is great. It's very catchy as a male book while still being something female readers would notice.

6 comments:

  1. I hadn't heard of this book but it does sound good, hope you enjoy it when you get it.

    Our WOW

    ReplyDelete
  2. New title for me and I am loving the male POV too. I am always looking for contemp novels from a guys voice. Great pick!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Interesting! I can't remember the last time I read a book that was in a males POV.

    My WoW

    ReplyDelete
  4. I think that last book or two that I read with a male POV I couldn't finish. They weren't bad because they were in his POV, the storyline just didn't grab me and I didn't want to keep reading it.

    Here's my WoW

    ReplyDelete
  5. Totally thrilling to see TPoG in a WoW (which according to my son may NOT stand for anything other than World of Warcraft, but what does he know?) and to see it intriguing others... thank you! :)

    Jessica, email me (if you want) at g.polisner@gmail.com and I'll send you the first page and see if I can "convert" you. Risky, I know. *bites nails* (and, yes, Kari, I will send you the first page too!)

    Anyway, thanks for "waiting on" TPoG. I hope you LOVE Nick and Jaycee. (male POV, but she's a trip! ;))

    ReplyDelete